We started in 1834 when a young woman, Maria De Mattias, began teaching girls and women in Acuto, Italy, at a time when women and girls rarely received a formal education.
She gained a following, and over time, Maria herself or other women who joined the community that came to be known as The Adorers of the Blood of Christ opened missions in Europe, the U.S., China, Brazil, Congo, Australia and other places throughout the world.
We and other religious communities of women and men contemplated and carried out a new way of being in the 1960s, in the aftermath of Vatican Council II, which called for sweeping changes in Catholic life and spirituality. We became less isolated and more a part of the larger society, both in our ministries and outward appearance.
In subsequent decades, our sisters opened missions in Guatemala, Tanzania, Liberia, Bolivia, Argentina, Guinea Bissau, the Philippines, the former Siberia and Albania as well as foundations in Korea and India.
We began accepting lay associates in the mid-1970s and sojourners more recently.
In 1992, five of our missionary sisters were killed in Liberia during its civil war. (Read more)
Our three previous U.S. provinces in Wichita, Kansas; Ruma, Illinois; and Columbia, Pennsylvania, were merged into one United States region in 2000.